[openstack-dev] [Horizon] Less compiler dependency

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Tue Dec 10 17:06:23 UTC 2013

On 12/10/2013 11:41 PM, Jiri Tomasek wrote:
> On 12/09/2013 12:47 PM, Jaromir Coufal wrote:
>> So I would like to ask everybody, if we can reconsider this dependency
>> and find some other alternative. I know we moved from nodejs, because
>> it is packaging nightmare. But honestly, better to invest more into
>> packaging than being blocked months waiting for features we need to
>> get in.

I don't agree, because ... I'll be doing the work! :)

More seriously, we are much better off NodeJS, and keep everything in
Python.

> So in IRC discussion we agreed to try 3 approaches how to resolve the
> problem:
>
> 1/ Try to dive into Lesscpy and help with making it support Bootstrap 3
> (and gradually all less features), subsequently keep it up to date.

That'd be great.

> 3/ Have production and development environment in Horizon, where
> development includes nodejs, release compiled css as well as less files.
> The styling customization would then require user to recompile
> stylesheets with his changes. On the other hand we'd have nodejs present
> in development envitonment and be able to use other tools that require it.

With all due respect, this is a very bad idea.

If by this, you mean that the release tarballs would ship some
pre-compiled-in files instead of the original source files, then you are
effectively making Horizon non-free, and non suitable for Debian main.
If you want to ship both, then you may as well discard the already
pre-compiled files, because a package maintainer will never use them. At
least in Debian, we are *required* to always use the "preferred form for
modification", whatever that is. This means the package will have to use
NodeJS and the "development environment" in the build process. So then
we're back to square one, with a NodeJS packaging nightmare. You'd
better directly go back to the idea of using NodeJS then, because that
would be exactly the same.

I much prefer option 1/ where lesscpy gets better and does what's needed
for the project. :)

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)