[openstack-dev] [ironic][qa] How will ironic tests run in tempest?

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Mon Dec 9 20:59:21 UTC 2013

On 10 December 2013 07:37, Devananda van der Veen
<devananda.vdv at gmail.com> wrote:

> We can test the ironic services, database, and the driver interfaces by
> using our "fake" driver within a single devstack VM today (I'm not sure the
> exercises for all of this have been written yet, but it's practical to test
> it). OTOH, I don't believe we can test a PXE deploy within a single VM
> today, and need to resume discussions with infra about this.

I think you can with qemu, but only VM's that are super lightweight
(like cirros) heavier things like OpenStack itself will be
prohibitively slow.

> There are some other aspects of Ironic (IPMI, SOL access, any
> vendor-specific drivers) which we'll need real hardware to test because they
> can't effectively be virtualized. TripleO should cover some (much?) of those
> needs, once they are able to switch to using Ironic instead of
> nova-baremetal.

We can cover that two ways - post deploy feedback, and using machines
to run tests against during gating. The latter is clearly better, but
we'll need a broader set of small machines to do that (we currently
have a set of big machines, which are fantastic for divide and conquer
workloads, but not for anything that needs a full machine.

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>
Distinguished Technologist