[openstack-dev] [TripleO][Tuskar] Icehouse Requirements

Jay Dobies jason.dobies at redhat.com
Mon Dec 9 16:13:38 UTC 2013

On 12/06/2013 09:39 PM, Tzu-Mainn Chen wrote:
> Thanks for the comments and questions!  I fully expect that this list of requirements
> will need to be fleshed out, refined, and heavily modified, so the more the merrier.
>
> Comments inline:
>

>>> *** Requirements are assumed to be targeted for Icehouse, unless marked
>>> otherwise:
>>>     (M) - Maybe Icehouse, dependency on other in-development features
>>>     (F) - Future requirement, after Icehouse
>>>
>>> * NODES
>>
>> Note that everything in this section should be Ironic API calls.
>>
>>>     * Creation
>>>        * Manual registration
>>>           * hardware specs from Ironic based on mac address (M)
>>
>> Ironic today will want IPMI address + MAC for each NIC + disk/cpu/memory
>> stats
>>
>>>           * IP auto populated from Neutron (F)
>>
>> Do you mean IPMI IP ? I'd say IPMI address managed by Neutron here.
>>
>>>        * Auto-discovery during undercloud install process (M)
>>>     * Monitoring
>>>         * assignment, availability, status
>>>         * capacity, historical statistics (M)
>>
>> Why is this under 'nodes'? I challenge the idea that it should be
>> there. We will need to surface some stuff about nodes, but the
>> underlying idea is to take a cloud approach here - so we're monitoring
>> services, that happen to be on nodes. There is room to monitor nodes,
>> as an undercloud feature set, but lets be very very specific about
>> what is sitting at what layer.
>
> That's a fair point.  At the same time, the UI does want to monitor both
> services and the nodes that the services are running on, correct?  I would
> think that a user would want this.
>
> Would it be better to explicitly split this up into two separate requirements?

That was my understanding as well, that Tuskar would not only care about
the services of the undercloud but the health of the actual hardware on
which it's running. As I write that I think you're correct, two separate
requirements feels much more explicit in how that's different from
elsewhere in OpenStack.