[openstack-dev] [TripleO][Tuskar] Icehouse Requirements

James Slagle james.slagle at gmail.com
Mon Dec 9 13:51:00 UTC 2013

Mainn,

Thanks for pulling this together.

> * NODES
>    * Management node (where triple-o is installed)
>        * created as part of undercloud install process

I think getting the undercloud installed/deployed should be a
requirement for Icehouse.  I'm not sure if you meant that or were
assuming that it would already be done :).  I'd like to see a simpler
process than building the seed vm, starting it, deploying undercloud,
etc.  But, that's something we can work to define if others agree as
well.

>        * can create additional management nodes (F)

By this, do you mean using the undercloud to scale itself?  e.g.,
using nova on the undercloud to launch an additional undercloud
compute node, etc.  I like that concept, and don't see any reason why
that wouldn't be technically possible.

> * DEPLOYMENT ACTION
>    * Heat template generated on the fly
>       * hardcoded images
>          * allow image selection (F)

So, I think this may be what Robert was getting at, but I think this
one should be M or possibly even committed to Icehouse.  I think it's
very likely we're going to need to update which image is used to do
the deployment, e.g., if you build a new image to pick up a security
update.

IIRC, the image is just referenced by name in the template.  So,
maybe the process is just:

* build the new image
* rename/delete the old image
* upload the new image with the required name (overcloud-compute,
overcloud-control)

However, having a nicer image selection process would be nice.

--
-- James Slagle