[openstack-dev] [TripleO][Tuskar] Icehouse Requirements

Imre Farkas ifarkas at redhat.com
Mon Dec 9 12:57:31 UTC 2013

On 12/09/2013 11:56 AM, Jaromir Coufal wrote:
> On 2013/07/12 01:59, Robert Collins wrote:
>>>     * Monitoring
>>>         * assignment, availability, status
>>>         * capacity, historical statistics (M)
>> Why is this under 'nodes'? I challenge the idea that it should be
>> there. We will need to surface some stuff about nodes, but the
>> underlying idea is to take a cloud approach here - so we're monitoring
>> services, that happen to be on nodes. There is room to monitor nodes,
>> as an undercloud feature set, but lets be very very specific about
>> what is sitting at what layer.
> We need both - we need to track services but also state of nodes (CPU,
> RAM, Network bandwidth, etc). So in node detail you should be able to
> track both.

I agree. Monitoring services and monitoring nodes are both valid
features for Tuskar. I think splitting it into two separate requirements
as Mainn suggested would make a lot of sense.

>>>          * searchable by status, name, cpu, memory, and all attributes from ironic
>>>          * can be allocated as one of four node types
>> Not by users though. We need to stop thinking of this as 'what we do
>> to nodes' - Nova/Ironic operate on nodes, we operate on Heat
>> templates.
> Discussed in other threads, but I still believe (and I am not alone)
> that we need to allow 'force nodes'.

Yeah, having both approaches would be nice to have. Instead of using the
existing 'force nodes' implementation, wouldn't it be better/cleaner to
implement support for it in Nova and Heat?

Imre