[openstack-dev] [TripleO][Tuskar] Icehouse Requirements

Jaromir Coufal jcoufal at redhat.com
Mon Dec 9 09:14:52 UTC 2013

On 2013/06/12 21:26, Tzu-Mainn Chen wrote:
> * can be allocated as one of four node types
>> It's pretty clear by the current verbiage but I'm going to ask anyway:
>> "one and only one"?
> Yep, that's right!
Confirming. One and only one.

>> My gut reaction is that we want to bite this off sooner rather than
>> later. This will have data model and API implications that, even if we
>> don't commit to it for Icehouse, should still be in our minds during it,
>> so it might make sense to make it a first class thing to just nail down now.
> That is entirely correct, which is one reason it's on the list of requirements.  The
> forthcoming API design will have to account for it.  Not recreating the entire data
> model between releases is a key goal :)
Well yeah, that's why we should try to think in a longer-term and
wireframes are covering also a bit more than might land in Icehouse. So
that we are aware of future direction and we don't have to completely
rebuild underlying models later on.

>>>               * optional node profile for a resource class (M)
>>>                   * acts as filter for nodes that can be allocated to that
>>>                   class (M)
>> To my understanding, once this is in Icehouse, we'll have to support
>> upgrades. If this filtering is pushed off, could we get into a situation
>> where an allocation created in Icehouse would no longer be valid in
>> Icehouse+1 once these filters are in place? If so, we might want to make
>> it more of a priority to get them in place earlier and not eat the
>> headache of addressing these sorts of integrity issues later.
Hm, can you be a bit more specific about how the allocation created in I
might no longer be valid in I+1?

> That's true.  The problem is that to my understanding, the filters we'd
> need in nova-scheduler are not yet fully in place.
I think at the moment there are 'extra params' which we might use to
some level. But yes, AFAIK there is missing part for filtered scheduling
in nova.

> I also think that this is an issue that we'll need to address no matter what.
> Even once filters exist, if a user applies a filter *after* nodes are allocated,
> we'll need to do something clever if the already-allocated nodes don't meet the
> filter criteria.
Well here is a thing. Once nodes are allocated, you can get warning,
that those nodes in the resource class are not fulfilling the criteria
(if they were changed) but that's all. It will be up to user's decision
if he wants to keep them in or unallocate them. The profiles are
important when a decision 'which node can get in' is being made.

>>>           * nodes can be viewed by node types
>>>                   * additional group by status, hardware specification
>>>           * controller node type
>>>              * each controller node will run all openstack services
>>>                 * allow each node to run specified service (F)
>>>              * breakdown by workload (percentage of cpu used per node) (M)
>>>       * Unallocated nodes
>> Is there more still being flushed out here? Things like:
>>    * Listing unallocated nodes
>>    * Unallocating a previously allocated node (does this make it a
>> vanilla resource or does it retain the resource type? is this the only
>> way to change a node's resource type?)
If we use policy based approach then yes this is correct. First
unallocate a node and then increase number of resources in other class.

But I believe that we need keep control over your infrastructure and not
to relay only on policies. So I hope we can get into something like
'reallocate'/'allocate manually' which will force a node to be part of
specific class.

>>    * Unregistering nodes from Tuskar's inventory (I put this under
>> unallocated under the assumption that the workflow will be an explicit
>> unallocate before unregister; I'm not sure if this is the same as
>> "archive" below).
> Ah, you're entirely right.  I'll add these to the list.
>
>>>       * Archived nodes (F)
>> Can you elaborate a bit more on what this is?
> To be honest, I'm a bit fuzzy about this myself; Jarda mentioned that there was
> an OpenStack service in the process of being planned that would handle this
> requirement.  Jarda, can you detail a bit?
So the thing is based on historical data. At the moment, there is no
service which would keep this type of data (might be new project?).
Since Tuskar will not be only deploying but also monitoring your
deployment, it is important to have historical data available. If user
removes some nodes from infrastructure, he would lose all the data and
we would not be able to generate graphs.That's why archived nodes =
nodes which were registered in past but are no longer available.

-- Jarda