[openstack-dev] Incubation Request for Barbican

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Fri Dec 6 21:23:07 UTC 2013

On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 9:19 AM, Jarret Raim <jarret.raim at rackspace.com>wrote:

>  All,
>
>  Barbican is the OpenStack key management service and we’d like to
> request incubation for the Icehouse release. A Rackspace sponsored team has
> been working for about 9 months now, including following the Havana release
> cycle for our first release.
>
>  Our incubation request is here:
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Barbican
>
>  Our documentation is mostly hosted at GitHub for the moment, though we
> are in the process of converting much of it to DocBook.
> https://github.com/cloudkeep/barbican
> https://github.com/cloudkeep/barbican/wiki
>

>  The Barbican team will be on IRC today at #openstack-barbican and you
> can contact us using the barbican at lists.rackspace.com mailing list if
> desired.

I'd like to look at keeping things simple when they can be simple. I need
to understand why there's already a key distribution service under
keystone?
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/40692/18/openstack-identity-api/v3/src/markdown/identity-api-v3-os-kds-ext.md

There could be two ways of looking at this - is Identity changing their
scope? Or is an incubating project trying to take work away from an
existing program? Not sure. I mostly just want to know who is best served
by a new code base getting incubated under our defined umbrella.

I agree that Barbican solves different problems than identity, and we need
to figure out the motivations for the seeming pressing need to
differentiate from keystone-the-project. There's autonomy, gathering your
own team, and probably other reasons. Can you expand on your need for
pursuing this incubation route?

I do realize we are clarifying our incubation route, so partially we need
to explore the "incubation under an existing" possibility and pros and
cons. I'm doing something unofficial with the training group, for example.
There are certainly pros and cons there. But I don't want to muddy the
waters with that discussion, I want to hear from Barbican about your
explorations of collaborating with Keystone and your motivations for
wanting a separate application.

Thanks,
Anne