[openstack-dev] [Oslo] Layering olso.messaging usage of config

Julien Danjou julien at danjou.info
Fri Dec 6 14:41:16 UTC 2013

On Fri, Dec 06 2013, Mark McLoughlin wrote:

Hi Mark,

> If the goal is "allow applications to use oslo.messaging without using
> oslo.config", then what's driving this? I'm guessing some possible
> answers:
>
>   5) But I want to avoid any dependency on oslo.config

I think that's the more important one to me.

>      This could be fundamentally what we're talking about here, but I
>      struggle to understand it - oslo.config is pretty tiny and it only
>      requires argparse, so if it's just an implementation detail that
>      you don't even notice if you're not using config files then what
>      exactly is the problem?

> Basically, my thinking is that something like this example:
>
>   https://gist.github.com/markmc/7823420
>
> where you can use oslo.messaging with just a dict of config values
> (rather than having to parse config files) should handle any reasonable
> concern that I've understood so far ... without having to change much at
> all.

I definitely agree with your arguments. There's a large number of
technical solutions that can be used to bypass the usage of oslo.config
and make it work with whatever you're using..

I just can't stop thinking that a library shouldn't impose any use of a
configuration library. I can pick any library on PyPI, and, fortunately,
most of them don't come with a dependency on the favorite configuration
library of their author or related project, and its usage spread all
over the code base.

While I do respect the fact that this is a library to be consumed mainly
in OpenStack (and I don't want to break that), I think we're also trying
to not be the new Zope and contribute in a sane way to the Python
ecosystem. And I think oslo.messaging doesn't do that right.

Now if the consensus is to leave it that way, I honestly won't fight it
over and over. As Mark proved, there's a lot of way to circumvent the
oslo.config usage anyway.

--
Julien Danjou
;; Free Software hacker ; independent consultant