[openstack-dev] [qa][tempest] Bug triage and monitoring process

Adalberto Medeiros adalbas at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Dec 6 14:18:14 UTC 2013

Hello all!

Yesterday, during the QA meeting, I volunteer myself to help the team
handling bugs and defining a better process to triage them.

Investigating the current bug list, I checked we have:

* 7 critical and high bugs. From those, 3 critical non-assigned:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/tempest/+bugs?search=Search&field.importance%3Alist=CRITICAL&field.importance%3Alist=HIGH&assignee_option=none
* 113 new bugs
* 253 open bugs

The first step here is to triage those NEW bugs and try to verify as
much as possible the OPEN bugs are being addressed. One goal is to check
duplicates, find assignees, confirm if the bugs are still valid and
prioritize them. Another one is to ensure recheck bugs are marked
correctly (critical or high) and that they have the right people looking
at them. Finally, it's important to revisit old bugs in order to check
they are still valid and re-prioritize them.

To accomplish that, I would like to suggest a Bug Triage Day for next
week on Thursday, 12th (yup, before people leave to end-of-year holidays
:) ).

The second step, after getting a concise and triaged bug list, is to
ensure we have a defined process to constant revisit the list to avoid
the issues we have now. I'm would like to hear suggestions here.

Please, send any thoughts about those steps and any other points you
think we should address for monitoring the bugs. We may as well define
in this thread what is needed for the bug triage day.

Regards,

--
Adalberto Medeiros
Linux Technology Center