[openstack-dev] [openstack-tc] Incubation Request for Barbican

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Thu Dec 5 23:53:36 UTC 2013

On Thu, 2013-12-05 at 23:37 +0000, Douglas Mendizabal wrote:

> >I agree that this is concerning. And that what's concerning isn't so
> >much that the project did something different, but rather that choice
> >was apparently made because the project thought it was perfectly fine
> >for them to ignore what other OpenStack projects do and go off and do
> >its own thing.
> >
> >We can't make this growth in the number of OpenStack projects work if
> >each project goes off randomly and does its own thing without any
> >concern for the difficulties that creates.
> >
> >Mark.
>
> Hi Mark,
>
> You may have missed it, but barbican has added a blueprint to change our
> queue to use oslo.messaging [1]
>
> I just wanted to clarify that we didn’t choose Celery because we thought
> that “it was perfectly fine to ignore what other OpenStack projects do”.
> Incubation has been one of our goals since the project began.  If you’ve
> taken the time to look at our code, you’ve seen that we have been using
> oslo.config this whole time.  We chose Celery because it was
>
> a) Properly packaged like any other python library, so we could just
> pip-install it.
> b) Well documented
> c) Well tested in production environments
>
> At the time none of those were true for oslo.messaging.  In fact,
> oslo.messgaging still cannot be pip-installed as of today.  Obviously, had
> we know that using oslo.messaging is hard requirement in advance, we would
> have chosen it despite its poor distribution story.

I do sympathise, but it's also true is that all other projects were
using the oslo-incubator RPC code at the time you chose Celery.

I think all the verbiage in this thread about celery is just to
reinforce that we need to be very sure that new projects feel a
responsibility to fit closely in with the rest of OpenStack. It's not
about technical requirements so much as social responsibility.

But look - I think you've reacted well to the concern and hopefully if
it feels like there was an overreaction that you can understand the
broader thing we're trying to get at here.

Thanks,
Mark.