[openstack-dev] Gate / Check jobs fail fast mode - don't start tempest until docs/pep8/unittests pass?

Clark Boylan clark.boylan at gmail.com
Thu Dec 5 23:02:17 UTC 2013

On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 2:37 PM, Peter Portante
<peter.a.portante at gmail.com> wrote:
> Has anybody considered changing how check and gate jobs work such that
> the tempest and grenade checks only run once the docs/pep8/unittests
> jobs all succeed?
>
> It seems like they complete so much quicker that folks can fix those
> bugs before having to wait hours for the other jobs.
>
> Thoughts, concerns, problems with that?

We actually did this for a while where we ran pep8 first and after
doing it found that the additional 5-10 minutes that were added to
passing runs was more painful than either waiting for results or
checking the Zuul status page. There is the additional problem that we
occasionally run out of slaves to run specific jobs while being able
to run others. If we run out of slaves capable of running pep8 jobs we
sit and wait even longer (though there is work being done to make
those slaves scale out much better).

If we do want to try this again and make the non tempest jobs run
first we would need to update Zuul. Zuul's layout file is currently
only capable of expressing that one test run before others and not
some set of tests. At one point there was talk of adding this but
believe interest declined once we decided to stop doing this
altogether.

The other thing worth mentioning is that we should all be running
`tox` before pushing code :) I don't always do it, but getting
everyone into that habit should reduce the vast number of patchsets
with simple failures.

Clark