[openstack-dev] [Rally] Project structure (organization) update

Boris Pavlovic bpavlovic at mirantis.com
Thu Dec 5 16:09:10 UTC 2013

Hi Stackers,

One of the major goals of the Rally Team is to make process of "joining
Rally team" simple as much as possible.  It means not just to be able to
get merged your patches. It means to be totally involved in Rally team and
fully understand what is happing in project and what are our goals.

We are hard working around refactoring our organization process, to resolve
major issues that we faced. Usually it is not clear:
1) what was done in project recently?
2) what is the goal of the project?
3) our high level roadmap?
4) where can you discuss interesting themes
5) how to use Rally
6) how to start contributing to Rally
7) what are currently open tasks?
8) who & what is contributing now

So actually it is impossible to cover effectively all these steps using one
service. As a result of our investigation and work, we start using few
tools:

1) Wiki page - with a lot of tutorials about how to install, use and extend
Rally functionality
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Rally/
After v.0.1. release we are going to add video instruction also.

2) Launchpad - where we are tracking blueprints/bugs and trying to present
RoadMap in blueprints that are integrated with development process
(patches, reviews & contributors).
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Rally/BenchmarkScenarios

3) Etherpad https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/Rally_Main - that contains all
most important information for developers:
3.1) RoadMaps
3.2) Links to active discussions
3.3) Main projects pages
And I think that this is the right place for any arch discussions.

4) Trello.com:
This is the perfect board to get rapidly information about who and what is
doing at this moment in project, and also to get information about open and
already assigned tasks.

P.S. we will add to the board each contributor, if he is doing anything
related to the Rally that should be tracked. (so it will be open defacto)

5) Project news feed:
Page that contains weekly, high level, human written, updates in projects:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Rally/Updates

P.S. We shouldn't use wiki page and find  something more suitable...

I hope that this email will help everybody to be more involved in Rally.
Btw any ideas about how to improve current project organization will be
really super useful. Thanks.

Best regards,
Boris Pavlovic