[openstack-dev] [policy] Let's make topics mandatory for openstack-dev

Roman Prykhodchenko rprikhodchenko at mirantis.com
Thu Dec 5 09:35:28 UTC 2013

Hi folks,

Open Stack community grows continuously bringing more people and so new
initiatives and new projects. This growing amount of people, initiatives
and projects causes increasing the amount of discussions in our mailing
list.

The problem which I'm talking about is that controlling the mailing list
gets harder with the growth of the community. It takes too much time to
check for important emails and delete/archive the rest even now. And it
does not tend to get any easier in the future.

Most of the email services and email clients support filtering incoming
emails. So one can automatically get rid of certain emails by creating
appropriate filters. Topics in subjects seem to be the best objects for
creating rules, i.e., when someone is interested only in Keystone he can
create an email filter for '[keystone]' substring in the subject.

The problem with the topics is that a lot of emails in openstack-dev do
not contain topics in their subjects, which makes this kind of filtering
very ineffective.

My proposal is to create an automated rule that rejects new emails, if
they do not contain any topic in their subject. What do you guys think?

- Roman Prykhodchenko
- romcheg on freenode.net