[openstack-dev] [heat] Heater Proposal

Adrian Otto adrian.otto at rackspace.com
Thu Dec 5 01:04:32 UTC 2013

On Dec 4, 2013, at 4:06 PM, "Fox, Kevin M" <kevin.fox at pnnl.gov>
 wrote:

> What is the difference between Heater, Cloudify (http://appcatalog.cloudifysource.org/#/?tumblr)

Cloudify is a Java based open source cloud management tool from Gigaspaces. Cloudify developers are part of the Solum project as well, and are supporting the effort.

> and Murano (https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Murano)

Murano is a Stackforge project that has recently pivoted into something I would describe as an app catalog system. I am interested in it from a Solum perspective.

> If Heater is intended to be a subset of Cloudify/Murano

I think that Heater and Murano are complimentary, and that Murano could potentially leverage Heater when it takes form. This possibility should be discussed with the Murano contributors prior to drawing any further conclusions.

Note that Heater's focus in much more narrow than Murano's.

> that they both would use, it might be good to start off like the Solum folks are?

I have participated in leading Solum through a process similar to the #1 option proposed below by Tim Schnell. That may be a bit more foolling around than is really needed for this. My vote would be for starting with option #2 (the easiest one), and transitioning to #3 if the code review process seems restrictive, or if the core team for Heat feels it's too much of a burden to do the reviews.

Adrian