[openstack-dev] [Solum] MySQL Storage Engine

Paul Montgomery paul.montgomery at RACKSPACE.COM
Wed Dec 4 20:04:06 UTC 2013

TLDR: Should Solum log a warning if operators do not use the InnoDB
storage engine with MySQL in Solum's control plane?

Details:

I was looking at: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/57024/
Models.py to be specific.

The default storage engine is InnoDB for MySQL which is good.  I took a
quick look at the storage engines and only InnoDB seems reasonable for the
Solum control plane (it is ACID complaint).  I assume that we'll all be
coding towards an ACID compliant database for performance (not having to
revalidate database writes and consistency and such) and ease of
development.

If all of that is true, should we log a warning to the operator that they
are using an untested and potentially problematic storage engine (which in
a worst case scenario can corrupt their data)?  Should we even enable an
operator to change the storage engine through configuration?  I think
enabling that configuration is fine as long as we make sure that the
operator knows that they are on their own with this unsupported
configuration but I welcome thoughts from the group on this topic.