[openstack-dev] creating a default for oslo config variables within a project?

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Wed Dec 4 18:51:16 UTC 2013

On 12/04/2013 11:56 AM, Ben Nemec wrote:
> On 2013-12-04 06:07, Sean Dague wrote:
>> On 12/03/2013 11:21 PM, Clint Byrum wrote:
>>> Excerpts from Sean Dague's message of 2013-12-03 16:05:47 -0800:

>>> Right, but it won't prevent users from creating a symlink with the same
>>> name.
>>>
>>> ln -s /var/lib/nova/instances/xxxxx/image.raw /tmp/well.known.location
>>>
>>> Now when you do
>>>
>>> with open('/tmp/well.known.location', 'w') as lockfile:
>>>   lockfile.write('Stuff')
>>>
>>> Nova has just truncated the image file and written 'Stuff' to it.
>>
>> So that's the generic case (and the way people often write this). But
>> the oslo lockutils code doesn't work that way. While it does open the
>> file for write, it does not actually write, it's using fcntl to hold
>> locks. That's taking a data structure on the fd in kernel memory (IIRC),
>> so it correctly gives it up if the process crashes.
>>
>> I'm not saying there isn't some other possible security vulnerability
>> here as well, but it's not jumping out at me. So I'd love to understand
>> that, because if we can close that exposure we can provide a working
>> default, plus a strong recommendation for how to do that *right*. I'd be
>> totally happy with printing WARNING level at startup if lock_path = /tmp
>> that this should be adjusted.
>
> Full disclosure: I don't claim to be a security expert, so take my
> thoughts on this with a grain of salt.
>
> tldr: I still don't see a way to do this without breaking _something_.
>
> Unfortunately, while we don't actually write to the file, just opening
> it for write access truncates it.  So there remains the issue Clint
> raised if someone can make that file a link.  I suppose we could check
> for the bad things people might do, but I'm pretty sure that way lies
> madness.

Fair point, more coffee before I make statements like that I guess :).

Follow up question: could we change it to open in "a" mode instead.
Still requires write access, but won't truncate.

> As a followup to my suggestion to have lockutils create something like
> /tmp/oslo-lock-path and make it accessible only to the owner, I think
> there's still a problem because a malicious user could create that
> directory ahead of time and when OpenStack is run for the first time it
> would happily use the existing directory and potentially overwrite any
> linked files in it.  There might be ways to avoid that, but I suspect
> they would be racy (which I believe is why you're not supposed to use
> tmp paths that are known ahead of time).  Granted, I'm not sure you
> should be installing to a system that already has malicious users on it,
> but I suspect security people would be less than thrilled with that answer.
>
> So the workable options that I see right now are to have it break on
> upgrade if lock_path is not set, or continue to break external locking
> by having it fall back to process locks when lock_path is not set, as
> Mark suggested.  I'm not wild about either so I'd love to hear if anyone
> has a third option.

Honestly, I'd love us to be clever and figure out a not dangerous way
through this, even if unwise (where we can yell at the user in the LOGs
loudly, and fail them in J if lock_dir=/tmp) that lets us progress
through this while gracefully bringing configs into line.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net