[openstack-dev] Tool for detecting commonly misspelled words

Dolph Mathews dolph.mathews at gmail.com
Tue Dec 3 20:47:59 UTC 2013

On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 12:46 PM, John Griffith
<john.griffith at solidfire.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 11:38 AM, Russell Bryant <rbryant at redhat.com>
> wrote:
> > On 12/03/2013 09:22 AM, Joe Gordon wrote:
> >> HI all,
> >>
> >> Recently I have seen a few patches fixing a few typos.  I would like to
> >> point out a really nifty tool to detect commonly misspelled words.  So
> >> next time you want to fix a typo, instead of just fixing a single one
> >> you can go ahead and fix a whole bunch.
> >>
> >> https://github.com/lyda/misspell-check
> >>
> >> To install it:
> >>   $ pip install misspellings
> >>
> >> To use it in your favorite openstack repo:
> >>  $ git ls-files | grep -v locale | misspellings -f -
> >>

> >> Sample output:
> >>
> >> http://paste.openstack.org/show/54354
> >
> > Are we going to start gating on spellcheck of code and commit messages?
>  :-)
>
> NO please (please please please).  We have enough "grammar reviewers"
> at this point already IMO and I honestly think I might puke if jenkins
> fails my patch because I didn't put a '.' at the end of my comment
> line in the code.

Spelling and grammar are two totally separate issues, and I think grammar
is out of scope here. A non-human gate for basic spelling would be
fantastic- faster feedback for the author and fewer wasted cycles by
reviewers.

> I'd much rather see us focus on things like... I
> dunno... maybe having the code actually work?

Effectively communicating the intent and thinking behind the code is just
as important as the code itself :)

> > --
> > Russell Bryant

-Dolph