[openstack-dev] Tool for detecting commonly misspelled words

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Tue Dec 3 20:05:50 UTC 2013

On 12/03/2013 01:46 PM, John Griffith wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 11:38 AM, Russell Bryant <rbryant at redhat.com> wrote:
>> On 12/03/2013 09:22 AM, Joe Gordon wrote:
>>> HI all,
>>>
>>> Recently I have seen a few patches fixing a few typos.  I would like to
>>> point out a really nifty tool to detect commonly misspelled words.  So
>>> next time you want to fix a typo, instead of just fixing a single one
>>> you can go ahead and fix a whole bunch.
>>>
>>> https://github.com/lyda/misspell-check
>>>
>>> To install it:
>>>   $ pip install misspellings
>>>
>>> To use it in your favorite openstack repo:
>>>  $ git ls-files | grep -v locale | misspellings -f -
>>>

>>> Sample output:
>>>
>>> http://paste.openstack.org/show/54354
>>
>> Are we going to start gating on spellcheck of code and commit messages?  :-)
>
> NO please (please please please).  We have enough "grammar reviewers"
> at this point already IMO and I honestly think I might puke if jenkins
> fails my patch because I didn't put a '.' at the end of my comment
> line in the code.  I'd much rather see us focus on things like... I
> dunno... maybe having the code actually work?

Ha.  I asked as a joke and I totally agree with your sentiment here.
But actually, the way to prevent these types of reviews/patches is to
prevent the errors from happening in the first place.  If you look at
what this is doing, it's really not so bad.  It's not touching grammar.
 It's not even trying to be an all encompassing spell checker.  It's
just looking for specific commonly misspelled words.  It doesn't sound
that bad to me.

--
Russell Bryant