[openstack-dev] Tool for detecting commonly misspelled words

Nachi Ueno nachi at ntti3.com
Tue Dec 3 19:18:34 UTC 2013

2013/12/3 John Griffith <john.griffith at solidfire.com>:
> On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 11:54 AM, Nachi Ueno <nachi at ntti3.com> wrote:

>>> NO please (please please please).  We have enough "grammar reviewers"
>>> at this point already IMO and I honestly think I might puke if jenkins
>>> fails my patch because I didn't put a '.' at the end of my comment
>>> line in the code.  I'd much rather see us focus on things like... I
>>> dunno... maybe having the code actually work?
>>
>> yeah, but may be non-voting reviews by this tool is helpful
>
> Fair enough... don't get me wrong I'm all for support of non-english
> contributors etc.  I just think that the emphasis on grammar and
> punctuation in reviews has gotten a bit out of hand as of late.  FWIW
> I've never -1'd a patch (and never would) because somebody used "its"
> rather than "it's" in a comment.  Or they didn't end a comment (NOT a
> docstring) with a period.  I think it's the wrong place to spend
> effort quite honestly.
>
> That being said, I realize people will continue to this sort of thing
> (it's very important to get your -1 counts in the review stats) and
> admittedly there is some value to spelling and grammar.  I just feel
> that there are *real* issues and bugs that people could spend this
> time that would actually have some significant and real benefit.
>
> I'm obviously in the minority on this topic so I should probably just
> yield at this point and get on board the grammar train.

May be, this is off topic.
At first, I do agree the importance of such grammar error is not high.
We should focus on real issues.

However IMO, we should -1 for even such cases (using "its")

I just send patch for fixing misspells in neutron.
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/59809/

There was 50 misspells. so it is may be small mistakes for one patch,
but it will be growing..