[openstack-dev] Tool for detecting commonly misspelled words

John Griffith john.griffith at solidfire.com
Tue Dec 3 18:46:53 UTC 2013

On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 11:38 AM, Russell Bryant <rbryant at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 12/03/2013 09:22 AM, Joe Gordon wrote:
>> HI all,
>>
>> Recently I have seen a few patches fixing a few typos.  I would like to
>> point out a really nifty tool to detect commonly misspelled words.  So
>> next time you want to fix a typo, instead of just fixing a single one
>> you can go ahead and fix a whole bunch.
>>
>> https://github.com/lyda/misspell-check
>>
>> To install it:
>>   $ pip install misspellings
>>
>> To use it in your favorite openstack repo:
>>  $ git ls-files | grep -v locale | misspellings -f -
>>

>> Sample output:
>>
>> http://paste.openstack.org/show/54354
>
> Are we going to start gating on spellcheck of code and commit messages?  :-)

NO please (please please please).  We have enough "grammar reviewers"
at this point already IMO and I honestly think I might puke if jenkins
fails my patch because I didn't put a '.' at the end of my comment
line in the code.  I'd much rather see us focus on things like... I
dunno... maybe having the code actually work?