[openstack-dev] [openstack-tc] Incubation Request for Barbican

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Tue Dec 3 18:26:47 UTC 2013

On 12/03/2013 11:40 AM, Jarret Raim wrote:

>> I think there's something else you should take under consideration.
>> Oslo messaging is not just an OpenStack library. It's the RPC library
>> that all projects are relying on and one of the strong goals we have
>> in OpenStack is to reduce code and efforts duplications. We'd love to
>> have more people testing and contributing to oslo.messaging in order
>> to make it as battle tested as celery is.
>>
>> Please, don't get me wrong. I don't mean to say you didn't considered
>> it, I just want to add another reason why we should always try to
>> re-use the libraries that other projects are using - unless there's a
>> strong technical reason ;).
>
> As I¹ve said, we are willing to look at the library for Icehouse. As lots
> of projects have implemented it, I hope that the switchover will be
> reasonably easy.
>
> I think this conversation has gotten away from our incubation request and
> into an argument about what makes a good library and when and how projects
> should choose between oslo and other options. I¹m happy to have the second
> one in another thread, but that seems like a longer conversation that is
> separate from our request.

It's absolutely about your incubation request.  Part of this process is
looking at the technical fit with the rest of OpenStack, and this is
well within the scope of that discussion.

> It seems like the comments are slowing down now. Does everyone feel our
> list (https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Barbican/Incubation) accurately
> captures the comments that have been brought up?
>
> I filled out the Scope section of our request and I think we¹ve cleared up
> the PTL election issue. Is there anything else I missed or have we covered
> most of the issues?

I need to make another pass over the added info and go deeper into the
technical bits, so I suspect there will be more feedback still.  It's
only been a day.  :-)

Also, note that most of the things brought up so far are based on the
proposed requirements for becoming incubated, not for things to be
worked on during incubation.  Unless the requirements change, so far it
looks like this request should be deferred a bit longer.

--
Russell Bryant