[openstack-dev] [Nova][Schduler] Volunteers wanted for a modest proposal for an external scheduler in our lifetime

Boris Pavlovic bpavlovic at mirantis.com
Tue Dec 3 12:22:35 UTC 2013

Hi all,

Finally found a bit time to write my thoughts.

There are few blockers that make really complex to build scheduler as a
services or even to move main part of scheduler code to separated lib. We
already have one unsuccessfully effort
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/oslo/+spec/oslo-scheduler .

Major problems that we faced were next:
1) Hard connection with project db api layer (e.g. nova.db.api,
cinder.db.api)
2) Hard connection between db.models and host_states
3) Hardcoded host states objects structure
4) There is no namespace support in host states (so we are not able to keep
all filters for all projects in the same place)
5) Different API methods, that can't be effectively generalized.

Main goals of no-db-scheduler effort are:
1) Make scheduling much faster, storing data locally on each scheduler and
just syncing states of them
2) Remove connections between project.db.api and scheduler.db
3) Make host_states just JSON like objects
4) Add namespace support in host_states

When this part will be finished, we will have actually only 1 problem what
to do with DB API methods, and business logic of each project. What I see
is that there are 2 different ways:

1) Make scheduler as a big lib, then implement RPC methods + bit of
business logic in each project
2) Move all RPC calls from nova,cinder,ironic,... and business logic in 1
scheduler as a service

Best regards,
Boris Pavlovic