[openstack-dev] VMware Workstation / Fusion / Player Nova driver

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Dec 3 09:27:49 UTC 2013

On Mon, Dec 02, 2013 at 07:23:19PM +0000, Alessandro Pilotti wrote:

> On 02 Dec 2013, at 04:52 , Kyle Mestery (kmestery) <kmestery at cisco.com> wrote:
>

> > This is very cool Alessandro, thanks for sharing! Any plans to try and get this
> > nova driver upstreamed?
>
> My personal opinion is that drivers should stay outside of Nova in a separate project.

If drivers were to live in separate projects we would be forced to maintain
Nova internal code as stable APIs to avoid breaking drivers during the dev
cycle. This would place a significant burden on Nova development and have a
negative impact on the overal ease of development. It would also discourage
collaboration and sharing of code between virt drivers, which is already a
significant problem today whereby drivers come up with different ways todo
the same thing. If you want to be isolated from the community in a separate
project then expect your code to be broken periodically during development.
If you don't want that, then put the code in tree and be an active part of
the community effort working together, instead of in isolation.

Regards,
Daniel