[openstack-dev] [Solum] CLI minimal implementation

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Tue Dec 3 02:17:08 UTC 2013

On 12/02/2013 07:03 PM, Roshan Agrawal wrote:
> I have created a child blueprint to define scope for the minimal implementation of the CLI to consider for milestone 1.
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/solum/+spec/cli-minimal-implementation
>
> Spec for the minimal CLI @ https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Solum/FeatureBlueprints/CLI-minimal-implementation
> Etherpad for discussion notes: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/MinimalCLI
>
> Would look for feedback on the ML, etherpad and discuss more in the weekly IRC meeting tomorrow.

What is this R1.N syntax?  How does it relate to development milestones?
 Does R1 mean a requirement for milestone-1?

For consistency, I would use commands like:

   solum app-create
   solum app-delete
   solum assembly-create
   solum assembly-delete

instead of adding a space in between:

   solum app create

to be more consistent with other clients, like:

   nova flavor-create
   nova flavor-delete
   glance image-create
   glance image-delete

I would make required arguments positional arguments.  So, instead of:

   solum app-create --plan=planname

do:

   solum app-create <planname>

Lastly, everywhere you have a name, I would use a UUID.  Names shouldn't
have to be globally unique (because of multi-tenancy).  UUIDs should
always work, but you can support a name in the client code as a friendly
shortcut, but it should fail if a unique result can not be resolved from
the name.

--
Russell Bryant