[openstack-dev] [openstack-tc] Incubation Request for Barbican

Jarret Raim jarret.raim at RACKSPACE.COM
Mon Dec 2 22:09:47 UTC 2013

>>>  * Process
>>>  ** Project must be hosted under stackforge (and therefore use git as
>>>its VCS)
>>
>> I see that barbican is now on stackforge,  but python-barbicanclient is
>> still on github.  Is that being moved soon?
>>
>>>  ** Project must obey OpenStack coordinated project interface (such as
>>>tox,
>>>     pbr, global-requirements...)
>>
>> Uses tox, but not pbr or global requirements
>
>It's also pretty easy for a stackforge project to opt-in to the global
>requirements sync job now too.

Are there some docs on how to do this somewhere? I added a task for us to
complete the work as part of the incubation request here:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Barbican/Incubation

>>>  ** Project should use oslo libraries or oslo-incubator where
>>>appropriate
>>
>> The list looks reasonable right now.  Barbican should put migrating to
>> oslo.messaging on the Icehouse roadmap though.
>
>*snip*
>

>>http://git.openstack.org/cgit/stackforge/barbican/tree/tools/pip-requires
>>
>> It looks like the only item here not in the global requirements is
>> Celery, which is licensed under a 3-clause BSD license.
>
>I'd like to address the use of Celery.
>
>WTF
>
>Barbican has been around for 9 months, which means that it does not
>predate the work that has become oslo.messaging. It doesn't even try. It
>uses a completely different thing.
>
>The use of celery needs to be replaced with oslo. Full stop. I do not
>believe it makes any sense to spend further time considering a project
>that's divergent on such a core piece. Which is a shame - because I
>think that Barbican is important and fills an important need and I want
>it to be in. BUT - We don't get to end-run around OpenStack project
>choices by making a new project on the side and then submitting it for
>incubation. It's going to be a pile of suck to fix this I'm sure, and
>I'm sure that it's going to delay getting actually important stuff done
>- but we deal with too much crazy as it is to pull in a non-oslo
>messaging and event substrata.

Is the challenge here that celery has some weird license requirements? Or
that it is a new library?

When we started the Barbican project in February of this year,
oslo.messaging did not exist. If I remember correctly, at the time we were
doing architecture set up, the messaging piece was not available as a
standalone library, was not available on PyPi and had no documentation.

It looks like the project was moved to its own repo in April. However, I
can¹t seem to find the docs anywhere? The only thing I see is a design doc
here [1]. Are there plans for it to be packaged and put into Pypi?

We are probably overdue to look at oslo.messaging again, but I don¹t think
it should be a blocker for our incubation. I'm happy to take a look to see
what we can do during the Icehouse release cycle. Would that be
sufficient?

[1] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Oslo/Messaging

Jarret