[openstack-dev] [Nova][Schduler] Volunteers wanted for a modest proposal for an external scheduler in our lifetime

Vishvananda Ishaya vishvananda at gmail.com
Mon Dec 2 20:31:57 UTC 2013

On Dec 2, 2013, at 9:12 AM, Russell Bryant <rbryant at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 12/02/2013 10:59 AM, Gary Kotton wrote:
>> I think that this is certainly different. It is something that we we want
>> and need a user facing API.
>> Examples:
>> - aggregates
>> - per host scheduling
>> - instance groups
>>
>> Etc.
>>
>> That is just taking the nova options into account and not the other
>> modules. How doul one configure that we would like to have storage
>> proximity for a VM? This is where things start to get very interesting and
>> enable the cross service scheduling (which is the goal of this no?).
>
> An explicit part of this plan is that all of the things you're talking
> about are *not* in scope until the forklift is complete and the new
> thing is a functional replacement for the existing nova-scheduler.  We
> want to get the project established and going so that it is a place
> where this work can take place.  We do *not* want to slow down the work
> of getting the project established by making these things a prerequisite.

I'm all for the forklift approach since I don't think we will make any progress
if we stall going back into REST api design.

I'm going to reopen a can of worms, though. I think the most difficult part of
the forklift will be moving stuff out of the existing databases into
a new database. We had to deal with this in cinder and having a db export
and import strategy is annoying to say the least. Managing the db-related
code was the majority of the work during the cinder split.

I think this forklift will be way easier if we merge the no-db-scheduler[1]
patches first before separating the scheduler out into its own project:

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/no-db-scheduler

I think the effort to get this finished is smaller than the effort to write
db migrations and syncing scripts for the new project.

Vish