[openstack-dev] [Neutron][qa] Parallel testing update

Joe Gordon joe.gordon0 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 2 19:48:55 UTC 2013

On Dec 2, 2013 9:04 PM, "Salvatore Orlando" <sorlando at nicira.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As you might have noticed, there has been some progress on parallel tests
for neutron.
> In a nutshell:
> * Armando fixed the issue with IP address exhaustion on the public
network [1]
> * Salvatore has now a patch which has a 50% success rate (the last
failures are because of me playing with it) [2]
> * Salvatore is looking at putting back on track full isolation [3]
> * All the bugs affecting parallel tests can be queried here [10]
> * This blueprint tracks progress made towards enabling parallel testing
[11]

> ---------
> The long story is as follows:
> Parallel testing basically is not working because parallelism means
higher contention for public IP addresses. This was made worse by the fact
that some tests created a router with a gateway set but never deleted it.
As a result, there were even less addresses in the public range.
> [1] was already merged and with [4] we shall make the public network for
neutron a /24 (the full tempest suite is still showing a lot of IP
exhaustion errors).

> However, this was just one part of the issue. The biggest part actually
lied with the OVS agent and its interactions with the ML2 plugin. A few
patches ([5], [6], [7]) were already pushed to reduce the number of
notifications sent from the plugin to the agent. However, the agent is
organised in a way such that a notification is immediately acted upon thus
preempting the main agent loop, which is the one responsible for wiring
ports into networks. Considering the high level of notifications currently
sent from the server, this becomes particularly wasteful if one consider
that security membership updates for ports trigger global
iptables-save/restore commands which are often executed in rapid
succession, thus resulting in long delays for wiring VIFs to the
appropriate network.
> With the patch [2] we are refactoring the agent to make it more
efficient. This is not production code, but once we'll get close to 100%
pass for parallel testing this patch will be split in several patches,
properly structured, and hopefully easy to review.
> It is worth noting there is still work to do: in some cases the loop
still takes too long, and it has been observed ovs commands taking even 10
seconds to complete. To this aim, it is worth considering use of async
processes introduced in [8] as well as leveraging ovsdb monitoring [9] for
limiting queries to ovs database.
> We're still unable to explain some failures where the network appears to
be correctly wired (floating IP, router port, dhcp port, and VIF port), but
the SSH connection fails. We're hoping to reproduce this failure patter
locally.

> Finally, the tempest patch for full tempest isolation should be made
usable soon. Having another experimental job for it is something worth
considering as for some reason it is not always easy reproducing the same
failure modes exhibited on the gate.

> Regards,
> Salvatore

Awesome work, thanks for the update.