[openstack-dev] [Nova][Schduler] Volunteers wanted for a modest proposal for an external scheduler in our lifetime

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Mon Dec 2 17:12:00 UTC 2013

On 12/02/2013 10:59 AM, Gary Kotton wrote:
> I think that this is certainly different. It is something that we we want
> and need a user facing API.
> Examples:
>  - aggregates
>  - per host scheduling
>  - instance groups
>
> Etc.
>
> That is just taking the nova options into account and not the other
> modules. How doul one configure that we would like to have storage
> proximity for a VM? This is where things start to get very interesting and
> enable the cross service scheduling (which is the goal of this no?).

An explicit part of this plan is that all of the things you're talking
about are *not* in scope until the forklift is complete and the new
thing is a functional replacement for the existing nova-scheduler.  We
want to get the project established and going so that it is a place
where this work can take place.  We do *not* want to slow down the work
of getting the project established by making these things a prerequisite.

--
Russell Bryant