[openstack-dev] [oslo] maintenance policy for code graduating from the incubator

Doug Hellmann doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com
Mon Dec 2 14:40:25 UTC 2013

On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 9:25 AM, Flavio Percoco <flavio at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 02/12/13 09:06 -0500, Russell Bryant wrote:
>
>> On 12/02/2013 08:53 AM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
>> So, to clarify, possible flows would be:
>>
>> 1) An API moving to a library as-is, like rootwrap

>>   -> Code removed from oslo-incubator once library is released
>>

> We should make the module print a deprecation warning which would be
> more like a 'transition' warning. So that people know the module is
> being moved to it's own package.

I thought about that, too. We could do it, but it feels like code churn. I
would rather spend the effort on updating projects to have the libraries
adopted.

>> 2) An API being replaced with a better one, like rpc being replaced by
>> oslo.messaging

>>   -> Code removed from oslo-incubator once all integrated projects have
>> been migrated off of the obsolete code
>>

> We've a deprecated package in oslo-incubator. It may complicate things
> a bit but, moving obsolete packages there may make sense. I'd also
> update the module - or package - and make it print a deprecation
> warning.

The deprecated package is for modules we are no longer maintaining but for
which there is not a direct replacement. Right now that only applies to the
wsgi module, since Pecan isn't an Oslo library.

Doug