[openstack-dev] [oslo] maintenance policy for code graduating from the incubator

Doug Hellmann doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com
Mon Dec 2 13:44:49 UTC 2013

On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 8:08 AM, Sandy Walsh <sandy.walsh at rackspace.com>wrote:

> [...]
> > <mailto:sandy.walsh at rackspace.com>> wrote:
> >

> >     On 11/29/2013 03:58 PM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> >     >
> >     >
> >     >
> >     > On Fri, Nov 29, 2013 at 2:14 PM, Sandy Walsh
> >     <sandy.walsh at rackspace.com <mailto:sandy.walsh at rackspace.com>
> >     > <mailto:sandy.walsh at rackspace.com
> >     <mailto:sandy.walsh at rackspace.com>>> wrote:
> >     >
> >     >     So, as I mention in the branch, what about deployments that
> >     haven't
> >     >     transitioned to the library but would like to cherry pick this
> >     feature?
> >     >
> >     >     "after it starts moving into a library" can leave a very big
> gap
> >     >     when the functionality isn't available to users.
> >     >
> >     >
> >     > Are those deployments tracking trunk or a stable branch? Because
> IIUC,
> >     > we don't add features like this to stable branches for the main
> >     > components, either, and if they are tracking trunk then they will
> get
> >     > the new feature when it ships in a project that uses it. Are you
> >     > suggesting something in between?
> >
> >     Tracking trunk. If the messaging branch has already landed in Nova,
> then
> >     this is a moot discussion. Otherwise we'll still need it in
> incubator.
> >
> >     That said, consider if messaging wasn't in nova trunk. According to
> this
> >     policy the new functionality would have to wait until it was. And, as
> >     we've seen with messaging, that was a very long time. That doesn't
> seem
> >     reasonable.
> >

> > The alternative is feature drift between the incubated version of rpc
> > and oslo.messaging, which makes the task of moving the other projects to
> > messaging even *harder*.
> >
> > What I'm proposing seems like a standard deprecation/backport policy;
> > I'm not sure why you see the situation as different. Sandy, can you
> > elaborate on how you would expect to maintain feature parity between the
> > incubator and library while projects are in transition?
>
> Deprecation usually assumes there is something in place to replace the
> old way.
>
> If I'm reading this correctly, you're proposing we stop adding to the
> existing library as soon as the new library has started?
>
> Shipping code always wins out. We can't stop development simply based on
> the promise that something new is on the way. Leaving the existing code
> to "bug fix only" status is far too limiting. In the case of messaging
> this would have meant an entire release cycle with no new features in
> oslo.rpc.
>
> Until the new code replaces the old, we have to suffer the pain of

I think you misunderstand either my intent or the status of the library.

During Havana we accepted patches to the rpc code and developed
oslo.messaging as a standalone library. Now that oslo.messaging has been
released, it is "shipping code" and the rpc portion of the incubator can be
deprecated during Icehouse.

Doug