[openstack-dev] [Ceilometer] what's in scope of Ceilometer

Sandy Walsh sandy.walsh at rackspace.com
Thu Aug 29 13:09:28 UTC 2013

On 08/29/2013 05:20 AM, Julien Danjou wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 29 2013, Gordon Chung wrote:
>
>> the first question is, Ceilometer currently does metering/alarming/maybe a
>> few other things... will it go beyond that? specifically: capacity
>> planning, optimization, dashboard(i assume this falls under
>> horizon/ceilometer plugin work), analytics.
>> they're pretty broad items so i would think they would probably end up
>> being separate projects?
>
> I think we can extend Ceilometer API to help build such tools, but I
> don't think we should build these tools inside Ceilometer.

<sniff> <sniff> I'm so happy to hear that I could cry.

+1000

>> another question is what metrics will we capture.  some of the product
>> teams we have collect metrics on datacenter memory/cpu utilization,
>> cluster cpu/memory/vm, and a bunch of other clustered stuff.
>> i'm a nova-idiot, but is this info possible to retrieve? is the consensus
>> that Ceilometer will collect anything and everything the other projects
>> allow for?
>
> Yeah, I think that Ceilometer's the place to collect anything. I don't
> know if that metrics you are talking about are collectable through Nova
> though.

Some of this data is collected from the vm and sent to the scheduler,
but not exposed in the normal nova notifications (iirc).

Internally we've been playing with Diamond for extracting this metrics
from our compute nodes. A Diamond -> CM bridge would be awesome.

We're really pushing hard for the other openstack projects to make more
use of the oslo notification framework and it's been well adopted so
far. For some high volume services, like Swift, the notification system
doesn't make sense, so there are efforts around things like Meniscus and
logstash -> notifications (or similar).

Hope it helps!
-S