[openstack-dev] [Ceilometer] what's in scope of Ceilometer

Gordon Chung chungg at ca.ibm.com
Thu Aug 29 04:37:20 UTC 2013

so we're in the process of selling Ceilometer to product teams so that
they'll adopt it and we'll get more funding :).  one item that comes up
from product teams is 'what will Ceilometer be able to do and where does
the product takeover and add value?'

the first question is, Ceilometer currently does metering/alarming/maybe a
few other things... will it go beyond that? specifically: capacity
planning, optimization, dashboard(i assume this falls under
horizon/ceilometer plugin work), analytics.
they're pretty broad items so i would think they would probably end up
being separate projects?

another question is what metrics will we capture.  some of the product
teams we have collect metrics on datacenter memory/cpu utilization,
cluster cpu/memory/vm, and a bunch of other clustered stuff.
i'm a nova-idiot, but is this info possible to retrieve? is the consensus
that Ceilometer will collect anything and everything the other projects
allow for?

cheers,
gordon chung

openstack, ibm software standards