[openstack-dev] About multihost patch review

Maru Newby marun at redhat.com
Tue Aug 27 23:50:42 UTC 2013

On Aug 27, 2013, at 3:27 PM, Tom Fifield <tom at openstack.org> wrote:

> On 27/08/13 15:23, Maru Newby wrote:
>>
>> On Aug 26, 2013, at 9:39 PM, Yongsheng Gong <gongysh at unitedstack.com> wrote:
>>
>>> First 'be like nova-network' is a merit for some deployments.
>>
>> I'm afraid 'merit' is a bit vague for me.  Would you please elaborate?
>
> One area of 'merit' in this area is for migration from nova-network to
> neutron. If there's something exactly analogous to something that
> already exists, its easier to move across.

I apologize for being unclear, but I don't think there is any question that neutron needs a multi-host HA capability.  The question is not  one of function, but of implementation.

I don't believe that the design of a feature being proposed for neutron should be acceptable simply because it reuses an implementation strategy used by nova-network.  Neutron's architecture may allow different decisions to be made, and we may have learned from nova-network's example.  In any case, reviewers need to understand the 'why' behind design decisions, and it doesn't appear to me that there is sufficient documentation justifying the current proposal's approach.  Only once we have more information will we be able to make an educated decision as to the quality of the proposal.

m.