[openstack-dev] live-snapshot/cloning of virtual machines

David Scannell dscannell at gridcentric.com
Tue Aug 27 15:31:59 UTC 2013

On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 10:34 AM, Russell Bryant <rbryant at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 08/27/2013 10:06 AM, Alessandro Pilotti wrote:
> > We are also planning to implement the live snapshot feature in the
> > Hyper-V driver during the next release cycle.
> >
> > I'm personally in favour of publishing the APIs in Havana, as this would
> > provide a stable baseline at the beginning of the release cycle and also
>
> The API is published already.  What matters even more than the API for
> you as a driver maintainer is the driver interface, which is actually
> already merged.  It went in before it became clear the libvirt patch
> wouldn't go in, but I don't think there's any reason to remove it now.

Since the API is published already, where is the harm in offering a backing
implementation of it? This completes the picture and leaves only the virt
driver maintainers to finish up the work and they can do that in their own
time
based on their own priorities and release schedule.

Ultimately the API implementation and the virt driver work is being done by
two distinct groups. I don't think its beneficial to block one group's
efforts
because another group has different priorities. Especially since both groups
have expressed a desire to see the work in.

> > give the ability to users and third parties to backport the driver's
> > feature to Havana (outside of the official repo of course).
>
> If you're backporting stuff anyway, you can backport the API patch, as
> well.  I see no sense in delivering an API to *everyone* that can't be
> used.
>
> Why require the additional hassle of backporting the API patch (which
affects a
different sets of nodes / services than backporting pure driver support)?
Especially
since the API patch simply fills in the implementation of the published API.

I understand that in the current outlook, Icehouse will be the release
where this feature
really shines because it'll be supported by most of the virt drivers.
However in the 6
months of the Havana release there is a rough patch of the functionality
available in
Vish's libvirt patch. Yes, it is not the long term solution, unsupported by
libvirt maintainers
and comes with a bunch of caveats around its use. But early adopters can
certainly use
this patch to experiment with this API and see what interesting workflows
come out of it.
That way they will be ready for when Icehouse lands with full support and
it is ready for
primetime.

Thanks,
David Scannell