[openstack-dev] [Nova] Frustrations with review wait times (was: Requesting feedback on review 35759)

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Aug 27 14:43:35 UTC 2013

On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 10:31:32AM -0400, Russell Bryant wrote:
> In general, how do we improve these stats?
>
> 1) Make sure we have a dedicated review team.
>
> This is something I spend time on regularly.  I try to encourage those
> on the team to regularly participate in reviews.  For those that aren't,
> they generally get removed from the team.  I'm also always on the
> lookout for people we should be adding.
>
>     https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Nova/CoreTeam
>
> 2) Review prioritization
>
> Reviewers choose which reviews to go after based on all kinds of things
> and some get more or quicker attention than others.  That will always be
> the case.  If there's a lot more interest in X than Y, then X deserves
> more attention, honestly.
>
> However, many of us could still do a better job prioritizing reviews.
> You can find some tips on that here:
>
>     https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Nova/CoreTeam#Review_Prioritization
>     https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/ReviewWorkflowTips
>
> 3) Something much more drastic
>
> At some point we may grow to the point where we have to adopt a new
> model to scale further.  I don't think we're too far off.  However, I
> think we could stand to grow a dedicated nova-core a bit larger before
> we have to take that step.  We have 19 people, and not all of those are
> active right now (meaning the team will likely shrink a bit soon).

I tend to focus the bulk of my review activity on the libvirt driver,
since that's where most of my knowledge is. I've recently done some
reviews outside this area to help reduce our backlog, but I'm not
so comfortable approving stuff in many of the general infrastructure
shared areas since I've not done much work on those areas of code.

I think Nova is large enough that it (mostly) beyond the scope of any
one person to know all areas of Nova code well enough todo quality
reviews. IOW, as we grow the nova-core team further, it may be worth
adding more reviewers who have strong knowledge of specific areas &
can focus their review energy in those areas, even if their review
count will be low when put in the context of nova as a whole.

Regards,
Daniel