[openstack-dev] live-snapshot/cloning of virtual machines

Tim Smith tsmith at gridcentric.com
Tue Aug 27 00:15:07 UTC 2013

Hi all,

On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 11:49 PM, Bob Ball <bob.ball at citrix.com> wrote:

> I agree with the below from a XenServer perspective.  As with vmware,
> XenServer supports live snapshotting and creating multiple clones from that
> live snapshot.
>
> I understand that there is a XenAPI equivalent in the works and therefore
> would argue the API changes need to be accepted as a minimum.

Can nova technical leadership provide clarification on the current standing
of this blueprint? Two hypervisor vendors have expressed plans for
supporting this feature, and one has specifically requested that the API
changes be merged, but it appears that both the API changeset [1] and
novaclient support [2] have both been rejected pending libvirt support
(which has assumedly been ruled out for the Havana release).

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/34036/
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/43777/

> In order to minimize the feature divergence between hypervisors, I'd also
> argue that we should accept the libvirt implementation even if it uses
> unsupported APIs - perhaps disabled by default with a suitable warning that
> it isn't considered safe by libvirt/QEmu.

It's understandable that changes to the libvirt driver would be held back
until libvirt/qemu-upstream support for live snapshotting is established
(if ever), but given that other vendors whose release cadences don't
necessarily align with the nova release schedule have expressed plans to
support the interface it's unclear why lack of libvirt driver support would
block the entire blueprint.

Thanks,
Tim