[openstack-dev] Updating global requirements -- pyflakes version conflict

Joe Gordon joe.gordon0 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 26 15:34:47 UTC 2013

Hi All,

Now that we have global requirements and projects are starting to sync up
with them, many are seeing an issue with pyflakes version conflicts.

Initially hacking did not pin pep8, pyflakes and flake8.  But as of hacking
0.5.5 this changed,
https://github.com/openstack-dev/hacking/commit/ea0dc8b7b08eeaf14609130a3ff3f3ddb5cf2b62,
only after we added pep8, pyflakes and flake8 to all test-requirements.txt

So now pep8, pyflakes and flake8 can be removed from test-requirements.txt,
as they are just dependencies of hacking and thus indirect dependencies of
any project that uses hacking.  Several projects including tempest have
begun doing this (https://review.openstack.org/#/c/43168/5).  And because
we have 53 repos in the openstack namespace (github.com/openstack) it is
easier to send this out to hunt down 53 patches and add comments to them.

best,
Joe Gordon