[openstack-dev] [Infra] We've launched git.openstack.org

Elizabeth Krumbach Joseph lyz at princessleia.com
Fri Aug 23 18:20:21 UTC 2013

Hi everyone,

Several months ago the OpenStack Infrastructure team filed a bug to
"Create a git.openstack.org mirror system"[0]

Full rationale is in the bug, but essentially we were heavily relying
upon the git repository on review.openstack.org, the Gerrit server
which was doing a lot of other work as well. It was also a single
point of failure for us. We were also relying upon github for cloning
in puppet modules, references in our documentation and more, we felt
it was time to host our own.

So we've gone ahead and launched the new git.openstack.org this week!
And we quickly scaled up to having multiple servers as the load from
the tests alone quickly overtook a single instance, so we're now using
HAProxy to load balance between several nodes.

For human-readable access, we went with cgit[0] which is also used by
kernel.org and the Fedora project. Visit our instance at:
http://git.openstack.org/cgit

There are many options for cgit, Anita Kuno is looking into getting
.rst files rendered in the interface and there are syntax highlighting
options we can look into. If you're interested in these or any other
options, let us know. Or better yet, submit a patch for us to review.
Documentation on this new git infrastructure, including links to
configuration files is up at: http://ci.openstack.org/git.html

We're also running git-daemon for access via git:// and made
git-http-backend available for cloning over http(s).

[0] https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-ci/+bug/1182179
[1] http://git.zx2c4.com/cgit/

http://www.princessleia.com