[openstack-dev] Announcing Tuskar project and PTL nominations

Martyn Taylor mtaylor at redhat.com
Thu Aug 22 11:23:55 UTC 2013

Hi Sylvain,

We are currently working on design docs.  We'll be adding some
architecture diagrams and description to our documentation soon.

To answer your question re: provisioning and images.

In our currently implementation (which is very early days), we took
images that were built from by Triple O, namely the overcloud
non-compute and compute images and we use these directly.  in the demo
environment you seen in the video, we used Triple O CI to set up the
machine, register the relevant overcloud images with glance and so on.

In Tuskar, we lifted from TripleO a copy of the triple-o overcloud heat
template and made some modifications.  We split out the non-compute and
compute sections, this allows us to add multiple entries of each of the
non-compute and compute sections (based on what is registered in Tuskar)
we then add a section to enforce deployment of the particular images
onto particular bare metal machines.  (This allows us to match hardware
to OpenStack services).  We do this by using the force_hosts capability
in the nova bare metal driver:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/baremetal-force-node.

We also add some extra commands to the Heat template to registers
flavors and associates the flavors, host aggregates and baremetal nodes
in the overcloud nova control instance.  This allows us to tell the nova
scheduler to match any instance requests with flavors that were
registered with a resource class in Tuskar with particular hardware that
has also been added to that resource class.

As Tomas mentioned, our initial release is really just a Proof of
Concept.  We'll be working to add more complex features and probably
rework much of our "short cuts".  Our aim though is to contribute as
much as possible (or as much that makes sense) of Tuskar upstream into
TripleO or any other component that we utilize and extend and have
Tuskar really concentrate on how to utilize existing components to
manage and deploy an OpenStack at large scale.

Regards
Martyn