[openstack-dev] Osl and dangerous code merging

Ben Nemec openstack at nemebean.com
Wed Aug 21 15:37:50 UTC 2013

On 2013-08-21 10:03, Julien Danjou wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 21 2013, Doug Hellmann wrote:
>
>> IIUC, git sub-modules point to a specific revision of the external
>> repository, right?
>
> Yes.
>
>> So would projects still have to explicitly update to newer versions of
>> the incubator code by changing that sub-module reference?
>
> Yes.
>
>> With the copy process we have now it is possible to update only part
>> of the
>> incubator code in a project. Is that a feature we would want to retain
>> if
>> using sub-modules?
>
> We'd lose it indeed.
>
> OTOH, it seems _relatively_ dangerous to me to update part of
> Oslo-incubator like we do, considering the possible dependencies
> between
> files.

That can be an issue, but on the other hand when a mass sync is done
there's almost no way to keep track of all the changes involved, so I
think in some circumstances it can be better to do individual modules.
At least that way the person doing the sync is presumably familiar with
the code they're syncing and has a handle on the dependencies (and
potential changes needed in the target project).

Just a counterpoint.  Not sure it's a sufficient argument to stop this
if we want to move forward with it.

-Ben