[openstack-dev] Stats on blueprint design info / creation times

Doug Hellmann doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com
Wed Aug 21 15:20:08 UTC 2013

On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 11:47 AM, Daniel P. Berrange <berrange at redhat.com>wrote:

> [...]
>     started for that major release.
>

> The first two items are easy to get data on. On the second point, I redid
> line wrapping on description text to normalize the line count across all
> blueprints. This is because many blueprints had all their text on one
> giant long line, which would skew results. I thus wrapped all blueprints
> at 70 characters.
>
> The blueprint creation date vs release cycle dev start date is a little
> harder. I inferred the start date of each release, by using the end date
> of the previous release. This is probably a little out but hopefully not
> by enough to totally invalidate the usefulness of the stats below. Below,
> "Early" means created before start of devel, "Late" means created after
> the start of devel period.
>
> The data for the last 3 releases is:
>
>   Series: folsom
>     Specs: 178
>     Specs (no URL): 144
>     Specs (w/ URL): 34
>     Specs (Early): 38
>     Specs (Late): 140
>     Average lines: 5
>     Average words: 55
>

>   Series: grizzly
>     Specs: 227
>     Specs (no URL): 175
>     Specs (w/ URL): 52
>     Specs (Early): 42
>     Specs (Late): 185
>     Average lines: 5
>     Average words: 56
>

>   Series: havana
>     Specs: 415
>     Specs (no URL): 336
>     Specs (w/ URL): 79
>     Specs (Early): 117
>     Specs (Late): 298
>     Average lines: 6
>     Average words: 68
>

> Looking at this data there are 4 key take away points
>
>   - We're creating more blueprints in every release.
>
>   - Less than 1 in 4 blueprints has a link to a design document.
>
>   - The description text for blueprints is consistently short
>     (6 lines) across releases.
>
>   - Less than 1 in 4 blueprints is created before the devel
>     period starts for a release.
>

> You can view the full data set + the script to generate the
> data which you can look at to see if I made any logic mistakes:
>
>   http://berrange.fedorapeople.org/openstack-blueprints/
>

> There's only so much you can infer from stats like this, but IMHO think the
> stats show that we ought to think about how well we are using blueprints as
> design / feature approval / planning tools.
>

> That 3 in 4 blueprint lack any link to a design doc and have only 6 lines
> of
> text description, is a cause for concern IMHO. The blueprints should be
> giving
> code reviewers useful background on the motivation of the dev work & any
> design planning that took place. While there are no doubt some simple
> features
> where 6 lines of text is sufficient info in the blueprint, I don't think

How many of those blueprints without links or expansive documentation are
related to some other blueprint that does have documentation? In
ceilometer, we have several blueprint "clusters" where one main blueprint
has some documentation and the others are present for assigning and
scheduling the work of a multi-part feature, or vice versa. For example,
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ceilometer/+spec/alarming has no real doc
because it's an "umbrella" blueprint for a lot of other pieces, many of
which *do* have documentation.

Doug