[openstack-dev] Stats on blueprint design info / creation times

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue Aug 20 15:53:25 UTC 2013

Anne Gentle wrote:
>       - Less than 1 in 4 blueprints is created before the devel
>         period starts for a release.
>
> I find this date mismatch especially intriguing, because the Foundation
> and member company sponsors spend millions on Design Summits annually
> and caters so much to getting people together in person. Yet the
> blueprints aren't created in enough detail for discussion before the
> Summit dates? Is that really what the data says? Is any one project
> skewing this (as in, they haven't been at a Summit or they don't follow
> integrated release dates?)

That does not surprise me. A lot of people do not link a blueprint to
their session proposal on the design summit session suggestion system --
sometimes it's the discussion itself which allows to formulate the right
blueprints, and those are filed in the weeks just after the summit. And
I think that's fine.

It would be more interesting to check how many blueprints are created
more than two weeks after the design summit. Those would be the late
blueprints (or the ones created as a tickbox), which escape the release
planning process.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)