[openstack-dev] [Tempest][Neutron] Improving neutron testing

Salvatore Orlando sorlando at nicira.com
Mon Aug 19 11:36:07 UTC 2013

Hi,

I've been trying to spend some time adding a few (hopefully) useful test
scenarios for neutron.
I have never commited anything into tempest, so I would appreciate any
feedback on the approach I am taking.

I have the following goals:
1) enable test_006_check_tenant_network_connectivity for neutron
2) validate tenant network connectivity across a logical router
3) verify default source NAT for outbound traffic
4) verify the extensions for disabling the default source NAT rules

Goals #1 and #2 could have been achieved adding a direct route to the
tenant network from the host running tempest; devstack does something
similar. However this does not really seem the right approach, as in theory
the host running tempest only need to have access to the API endpoints.

So far I have solved this by booting a second server, either in the same
network or in another network reachable via the router, and then pinging
the second server from the first via ssh.

For verifying source NAT behaviour (goals #3 and #4), I am currently using
the first instance to open a tunnel to the second instance, and then
pinging the default gateway from the public network from there. It won't be
correct to perform the ping from the first instance, as that instance is
associated with a floating IP, and therefore the floating IP SNAT rule
would be hit instead of the default one.

Thanks in advance for your advice and feedback.
I shall made WIP patches available soon.

Regards,
Salvatore