[openstack-dev] [keystone] Pagination

Kieran Spear kispear at gmail.com
Thu Aug 15 07:31:47 UTC 2013

On 15/08/2013, at 3:02 AM, Jay Pipes <jaypipes at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 08/14/2013 12:25 PM, Mac Innes, Kiall wrote:
>> So, Are we saying that UIs built on OpenStack APIs shouldn't be able to
>> show traditional pagination controls? Or am I missing how this should
>> work with marker/limit?
>
> No, not quite what I'm saying. The operation to get the total number of pages -- or more explicitly, the operation to get the *exact* number of pages in a list result -- is expensive, and in order to be reasonably efficient, some level of caching is almost always needed.
>
> However, being able to page forwards and backwards is absolutely possible with limit/marker solutions. It simply requires the paging client (in this case, Horizon), to store the list of previously seen page links returned in listing results (there is a next and prev link in the returned list images results, for example).

Is there a prev link? It's optional in Compute v2 and Images v1 and Nova/Glance don't seem to be returning it. I suspect Nova v3 isn't either but I haven't tested it. There's no mention of it in Images v2 at all and no prev returned there either.

If there is a next and prev link in the returned results then Horizon wouldn't need to store anything - the links can be rendered straight into the page.

Anyway, you're right, this is all secondary to the need for decent filtering.