[openstack-dev] Need of L3-Agent to Router Binding

Rahul Sharma rahulsharmaait at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 14:19:42 UTC 2013

Hi All,

I am having a basic query on the need of l3agent to router binding. If we
have a look at current code, we keep a binding of "l3agent to the router"
which it has created. Why do we do that? I am unable to think out the
possible reason in doing so.

In which scenario will I have more than one l3agents installed in my setup?

I faced an issue because of this while doing HA of the network node. On
switchover/failover, I have to change the l3agent to router binding so that
traffic works smoothly. We have a binding for "Network to DHCP-agent" which
is required. But I am still guessing why I need binding for l3agent to
router.

Can you please provide some pointers for this. It would be really helpful.

Thanks and Regards
Rahul Sharma