[openstack-dev] Can we use two nova schedulers at the same time?

Alex Glikson GLIKSON at il.ibm.com
Tue Aug 13 08:15:25 UTC 2013

There are roughly three cases.
1. Multiple identical instances of the scheduler service. This is
typically done to increase scalability, and is already supported (although
sometimes may result in provisioning failures due to race conditions
between scheduler instances). There is a single queue of provisioning
requests, all the scheduler instances are subscribed, and each request
will be processed by one of the instances (randomly, more or less). I
think this is not the option that you referred to, though.
2. Multiple cells, each having its own scheduler. This is also supported,
but is applicable only if you decide to use cells (e.g., in large-scale
geo-distributed deployments).
3. Multiple scheduler configurations within a single (potentially
heterogeneous) Nova deployment, with dynamic selection of
configuration/policy at run time (for simplicity let's assume just one
scheduler service/runtime). This capability is under development (
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/37407/) , targeting Havana. The current
design is that the admin will be able to override scheduler properties
(such as driver, filters, etc) using flavor extra specs. In some cases you
would want to combine this capability with a mechanism that would ensure
disjoint partitioning of the managed compute nodes between the drivers.
This can be currently achieved by using host aggregates and
AggregateInstanceExtraSpec filter of FilterScheduler. For example, if you
want to apply driver_A on hosts in aggregate_X, and dirver_B on hosts in
aggregate_Y, you would have flavor AX specifying driver_A and properties
that would map to aggregate_X, and similarly for BY.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Alex