[openstack-dev] Issues with devstack

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Mon Aug 12 16:42:41 UTC 2013

Hey all!

You may have noticed recently that there are issues running devstack on
brand new machines - and if you have noticed that, you may have been asking:

- what's the problem?
- how the heck did this make it past the gate since we run devstack so
often?

Well - this is a fun one, and it's kind of a perfect storm of three
different things.

First of all, there are a couple of packages with bad permissions in the
archive that they have on PyPI. Specifically, prettytable and httplib2.
That wasn't a problem until pip 1.4 actually started unpacking zip files
more correctly - by actually preserving the permissions of the files in
the archive.

It got past the gate because pip 1.4 _only_ does this for zip files, and
our mirror happens to return files in a different order, so the gate
jobs were getting the tarball source archives instead of the zip source
archives.

What are we doing about it?

A couple of things. Dean is adding a workaround to devstack to chmod the
bad packages appropriately[1]. We are also filing bugs against the bad
packages. And we've filed a bug against pip[2] and are working with the
upstream authors (thanks dstufft) to get the logic in pip changed to be
safer across the board (and to apply the same logic to both tar and zip
archives)

Monty

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/41209/
[2] https://github.com/pypa/pip/issues/1133