[openstack-dev] [OpenStack][Dev] Block Storage libraries and shared code

John Griffith john.griffith at solidfire.com
Mon Aug 12 15:55:02 UTC 2013

Hey,

There have been a couple of block storage related patches in Nova lately
and I wanted to get some discussion going and also maybe increase some
awareness on some efforts that were discussed at the last summit.  To catch
up a bit here's the etherpad from the summit session [1].

First off, there was a patch to move Nova's LVM code in to OSLO (here [2]).
 This one is probably my fault for not having enough awareness out there
regarding our plans/goals with brick.  I'd like to hear from folks if the
brick approach is not sufficient or if there's some other reason that it's
not desirable (hopefully it's just that folks didn't know about it).

For reference/review the latest version of the brick/local_dev/lvm code is
here: [4].

One question we haven't answered on this yet is where this code should
ultimately live.  Should it be in OSLO, or should it be a separate library
that's part of Cinder and can be imported by other projects.  I'm mixed on
this for a number of reasons but I think either approach is fine.

The next item around this topic that came up was a patch to add support for
using RBD for local volumes in Nova (here [3]).  You'll notice a number of
folks mentioned brick on this, and I think that's the correct answer.  At
the same time while I think that's the right answer long term I also would
hate to see this feature NOT go in to H just because folks weren't aware of
what was going on in Brick.  It's a bit late in the cycle so my thought on
this is that I'd like to see this resubmitted using the brick/common
approach.  If that can't be done between now and the feature freeze for H3
I'd rather see the patch go in as is than have the feature not be present
at all for another release.  We can then address this when we get a better
story in place for brick.

[1] https://etherpad.openstack.org/havana-cinder-local-storage-library
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/40795/
[3] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/36042/15