[openstack-dev] [climate] Mirantis proposal to extend Climate to support virtual resources reservation

Nikolay Starodubtsev nstarodubtsev at mirantis.com
Mon Aug 12 15:28:18 UTC 2013

Hi, again!

Partick, I’ll try to explain why do we belive in some base actions like
instance starting/deleting in Climate. We are thinking about the following
workflow (that will be quite comfortable and user friendly, and now we have
more than one customer who really want it):

1) User goes to the OpenStack dashboard and asks Heat to reserve several
stacks.

2) Heat goes to the Climate and creates all needed leases. Also Heat
reserves all resources for these stacks.

3) When time comes, user goes to the OpenStack cloud and here we think he
wants to see already working stacks (ideal version) or (at least) already
started. If no, user will have to go to the Dashboard and wake up all the
stacks he or she reserved. This means several actions, that may be done for
the user automatically, because it will be needed to do them no matter what
is the aim for these stacks - if user reserves them, he / she needs them.

We understand, that there are situations when these actions may be done by
some other system (like some hypothetical Jenkins). But if we speak about
users, this will be useful. We also understand that this default way of
behavior should be implemented in some kind of long term life cycle
management system (which is not Heat), but we have no one in the OpenStack
now. Because the best may to implement it is to use Convection, that is
only proposal now...

That’s why we think that for the behavior like “user just reserves
resources and then does anything he / she wants to” physical leases are
better variant, when user may reserve several nodes and use it in different
ways. For the virtual reservations it will be better to start / delete them
as a default way (for something unusual Heat may be used and modified).

Do you think that this workflow is useful too and if so can you propose
another implementation  variant for it?

Thank you.