[openstack-dev] [nova] gauging feelings on a new config option for powervm_lpar_operation_timeout

Matt Riedemann mriedem at us.ibm.com
Mon Aug 12 15:23:48 UTC 2013

Russell, with powervm the hypervisor (IVM) is running on a detached system
and depending on how many compute nodes are going through the same
hypervisor I would think the load would vary as it processes multiple
requests.  In my runs with Tempest I haven't seen any timeouts in the
power_off operation, but I have seen other problems which are making me
conscious of timeout issues with the powervm driver, mainly around taking
a snapshot of a running instance (but that's a different issue related
more to disk performance on the IVM and network topology - still
investigating).

Honestly, I just don't like hard-coded timeouts which can't be configured
if the need arises.  I don't know why there is a timeout argument in the
code that defaults to 30 seconds if it can't be overridden (or is
overridden in the code).  We could do like the libvirt driver and just not
have a timeout on stop/start, but that scares me for some reason.

Thanks,

MATT RIEDEMANN
Advisory Software Engineer
Cloud Solutions and OpenStack Development

Phone: 1-507-253-7622 | Mobile: 1-507-990-1889
E-mail: mriedem at us.ibm.com

3605 Hwy 52 N
Rochester, MN 55901-1407
United States